Tuesday, August 21, 2018

Good Stuff Happens; Yeah, It Does!. . .

What a Day! What a Guy! Son, John, that is.

Malfunctioning AC unit repaired and a NEW Water Heater installed.

What he thought would be a 2-3 hour job took all day. 'Course I stood By-The-Ready to "hold" the hammer or the screw driver -- and even became a "Ready-to-be-Certified" Welder. Yeah, I did. Well, maybe certification will come with a little more practice. ??

So here’s the deal –

In the summer, I keep the thermostat set at 76. It works well for Mary 'n me. Yesterday, for some reason, I walked thu the hall and "happened" to look at the thermostat and was surprised to see it was set at 76 but Temp was 77. I check it on occasion -- but not often -- and always the Set temp matches the actual Temp.

So this (the descrepancy) was odd. Hmmm . . .

A few minutes later, John called to say he was coming by to check on my water heater and to see if he could determine the source of the water leak; maybe it WAS the water heater. 

"Good," I thought; he can change the AC filters (2) and I will mention the 76/77 Temp descrepancy.

He had asked for and I had sent him info from the hot water tank a few days ago and he had now determined it was 20 years old. So when he came over and we looked at the water leak in the garage again, he told me he thought the water leak likely was the heater, esp. considering its age. Based on this and his recommendations, I decided to purchase a new one.

Then he checked the thermostat and the AC unit (outside) and came in to tell me "Mom, this is the 3rd AC unit I've seen in the last couple of weeks with this problem." Then he showed me "the problem." Two copper wires were touching and they caused a break and leagage/foaming at the break. Not an uncommon issue/problem, apparently.

So. "Every . . . thing . . . matters" -- once again, the quote of Andy Andrews proves itself. (Noticing that descrepancy in the Temp and the Setting (76/77) on the Thermostat 30 minutes before John called to say he was coming over was NOT accidental.)

So then we drove to Franklin -- Ferguson HVAC -- where I purchased a new water heater and the parts and pieces needed to fix the AC. Not exactly cheap but considerably better than if I had to call an unknown.

We returned with our purchases and John proceeded to fix the AC and pull out the old water heater and install the new one. Which was a few inches larger and barely fit in the space (but did, thank goodness) except it required going to Home Depot for some add'l parts to line up the pipes correctly (because of the larger size of the tank). GAH!

While he's busy fixing the AC unit and installing the water heater, I spent about 1-1/2 hours pulling weeds along the side of the house where the AC unit is -- a garden area completely overgrown with crab grass and weeds. Don't ask what happened when I tried to stand up! ACH! OOWW! My aching joints!

WHAT AN AMAZING DAY OF ACCOMPLISHMENT!!!

Thank you, dear John, STILL my Son-Shine boy! Hopefully you will have a restful evening and night.

As for me, I am enjoying a good dinner (Steak, fries, brocolai, corn, and strawberries dipped in brown sugar, a glass of Vino, and a small piece of choc. pudding cake for desert.).

AND at bedtime, a dose of Aspirin -- 500 mg for body aches and pains -- for my ACHING JOINTS!

Sons are Good! Life is Good! God is GOOD! 

Yeah, it is!
Sarah

No comments:

Post a Comment