Tuesday, August 28, 2018

Libtard . . . Progressive . . .

          Someone recently referred to me as such.

          Me???  Wait just a New York minute . . .

          Hmmm. Let me think about this. Not very familiar with those terms; never thought of myself that way exactly . . . .

          So let's see  – my husband and I raised our kids to be respectful . . . and truthful . . . and responsible –

We taught them to be honest and dependable --
We taught them to clean up after themselves --
We taught them to finish what they start --
We taught them to be kind to others, and forgiving --
We taught them to study hard to get good grades –

          And being being part of a family means fun times AND responsibilities IN the family so --

          We assigned home chores for each of them from age 3-4 --

          When they were old enough for part-time jobs, we taught them it was important to show up on time 'ever' day and do a good job, that there is no “free lunch”. Work hard, do your job, you will be rewarded.

          Personally, like Elvis, I believe in “a little less talk, a little more action”so like Graham Nash once said when being interviewed by Tavis Smiley in 2011, “I’ve got to be the way I want the world to be” is a credo I strive to live by.

          And having been raised in a church that preached “we’re right and everyone else is wrong”, I have fought against that perspective my whole life – always attempting to find ‘common ground’ whenever/wherever possible with people of differing perspectives. Learning along the way, how often that results in finding much about which to agree.
.
          I believe what I believe because it works for me. Living in America, I recognize the same 'freedom of choice' applies to you and yours.

          Being a ‘free thinker’, I also believe what I think today may change depending on what I learn tomorrow.

          So here I am today – in this self-absorbed, anything goes, “ if it feels good, do it” world --

just now learning that all those things I taught and practice and still believe in makes me a “Libtard”, a “Progressive.”

          It’s GR-ATE to learn sumthin’ new ever day, is it not?

          Yeah, it is.

          This calls for a celebration. Yeah, it does.

No comments:

Post a Comment